Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Attitude adjustment and the arrogance of some dealers

This is a small continuation from my first coin show experience. Now I have said that I enjoyed the show and I don't mind going back next year when I have a larger want list of coins. But as I have stated before, I collect many things besides coins. I may be new to coins but that does not mean I am new to collectibles. So this article is based on one coin dealer that I was speaking to.
I walked the floor of the show once and decided to walk through the floor again to see if there is anything I missed. I passed by one table and noticed that there were some coins from the countries on my want list. So I looked at the coins and began talking to the dealer asking him if he had any more coins from the countries I'm looking for.
He wanted me to more specific so I showed him my list since there was no prices or anything sensitive on it. He proceeded to tell me that the coins I'm looking for are too common for his table. Then he told me and I quote "I have plenty of those coins at home, I'm not going to bring dollar coins here."
Excuse me, but who cares what who has at home. Did I ask him? no I did not. Did I ask him if he knew about the coins? no I did not. How dare this stupid dealer assume my coins are common or deem them too "cheap" for him to carry. I did not talk to him anymore about the coins as a matter of fact I responded calmly and left his table.
Now about the coins I have been looking for. I have searched high and low for the coins, no online auction sites or stores had them. No brick and mortar store had them either, as a matter of fact these were rare and downright scarce expensive coins. I took into consideration that the dealer had no idea what the coins I was looking for was. But to stand in front of me and insult the coins I was seeking for is highly unprofessional. Needless to say if I do go back to the show I would avoid this dealer like the plague.

No comments:

Post a Comment