Sunday, January 8, 2012

My first experience at a coin show

So I went to the NYINC, New York International Numismatic Convention today. It was a little early for me considering I had just begun this hobby. But when a show only comes around once a year I decided to go and see how it was.
First things first, other collectors have told me its mainly world coins at the show and looking at the name I can guess thats what it was. Nevertheless I was expecting some United States coins since it was held in the United States. But what I wasn't expecting was the amount of Ancient coins. Wow, there were tons of ancient coins. So many that I couldn't identify and so many I had never seen before.
And the amount of high dollar coins made my small want list of coins seem meager. Now I'm not saying the coins I'm looking for are small fry stuff. Some of them are rare and downright scarce provided a dealer knew about it. But mostly all the tables had tons of world coins and barely any had U.S. coins. Thats not to say I didn't like what I saw as I still enjoyed the show.
So what did I get? Not much, not much considering most coins at the show were priced at three digits or more. Maybe when I'm more experienced and have a larger want list, the show will be even more enjoyable. But I did get some coins for a few world sets I'm working on. Mostly cheap stuff but still worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment