Thursday, January 5, 2012

Starting off on my quest for coins

You're probably wondering, how does a guy go from collecting baseball cards jump to comics jump to coins. Well collecting is in my nature and sometimes I get influenced by other sources. In this case it will be my parents who started me off on stamps. I have yet to strongly focus on stamps but maybe in the future I will.
Anyway back to coins, I recently looked through my parents collection of coins and went "well thats interesting." Though the collection was mostly world coins from Asia and mixed from Austria to Canada. I still wanted to focus on United States coins, it was just easier since I live in the states. I started looking at my pocket change to see what I can find. The crusty old pennies and dimes were not doing much for me so I looked harder. There it goes I found my first Lincoln wheat cent. Though its nothing spectacular it was something out of the ordinary. But of course being a collector I wanted more, and better things.
I looked back into the US coin history to see if anything caught my eye. And it seemed that silver was the big thing back then. Another look made me look at the Morgan silver dollars, Peace dollars and some old odd cents like two and three cents. I fell for it, I wanted to add some of these coins to my collection. But I had to start small, I had to learn what to buy and what to get.
So I went online to look around to see what was available. Lots of stuff were out there like Indian cents, Half Dimes, Buffalo Nickels and lots of other coins. In the end I decided to focus on Morgan dollars. Though its a huge set and there are some with prices in the stratosphere I loved the feel and look of a big piece of silver. Thats not to say I'm not buying other things since my first purchase was the United States Silver Proof sets from 2004 and 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment